The Voice of Business
Who we are
The Annapolis Board of Trade (ABoT) is a membership organization of businesses, trades and professionals. Our purpose is to support, encourage and develop business within the Annapolis district area.
What we do
ABoT works to promote a healthy and supportive business environment within our community and our region in a variety of ways, including:
Community support and development
- Visitor Information Centre (VIC) – ABoT operates the local VIC, obtaining employment staffing grants, providing operation funds and supervising operations. In 2016, we served just over 16,000 visitors to our area.
- First Fridays – ABoT organizes and publicizes this “open late” sales event on the first Friday of the months of June through October, providing an opportunity for increased sales for our retail, restaurant and attractions members.
- Christmas Parade of Lights – ABoT hosts this family holiday event, coordinating activities, providing refreshments and encouraging enhanced member decorations and marketing initiatives.
- Spring and Fall Luncheons – in partnership with the Town of Annapolis Royal, ABoT hosts business-focused networking luncheons in May and October.
- Community events – ABoT supports community events hosted by other groups, such as the Magnolia Festival, Natal Days, Paint the Town and the Easter Extravaganza.
- Student Bursary – In co-operation with Scotiabank, ABoT provides an annual $1000 bursary for an AWEC graduating student entering further business studies.
Economic development and marketing initiatives
- Representing business – ABoT representatives attend conferences and meetings for economic development. In addition, we lobby all levels of government – municipal, country, provincial and federal – on behalf of our members.
- Canada 150 – ABoT is involved in community efforts to recognize and celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation and is a member of the Working Group.
- Waterfront Development Plan – ABoT supports the Town of Annapolis Royal Waterfront Development Committee, and also the Annapolis Royal Wharf Association’s French Basin project at the Causeway.
- Doers and Dreamers – ABoT coordinates the Annapolis Royal and area pages in the Province of Nova Scotia’s paper and on-line tourism guide.
- Basic Online Marketing – ABoT promotes its members on our website through featured listings and our business directory. We also promote our members on our Facebook page.